Recognized as one of BC's Top Employers (2017)
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Mar 8, 2017)
Here are some of the reasons why iQmetrix was selected as one of BC's Top Employers (2017):
- iQmetrix encourages its employees to get involved in the community with paid time off to volunteer as well as the opportunity to provide feedback on which charitable organizations receive company support
- iQmetrix is a leader in its industry, providing maternity and parental leave top-up payments for its new mothers and adoptive parents (to 75% of salary for 17 weeks) -- new dads also receive 4 days off upon the arrival of their new child
- iQmetrix offers head office employees a unique work environment that includes weekly deliveries of fresh organic fruit, two taps of craft beer (with new selections every month), and in-office private massage therapy appointments
iQmetrix offers great staff experiences
Jerome Valdez wanted something "sticky." When someone from iQmetrix approached him about a position as a software designer in 2011, the timing was right. Valdez had worked on digital advertising campaigns as a consultant for the previous eight years. "I missed working on product," he says. "I was itching to be part of something more permanent."
iQmetrix fits that description. Founded in 1999, the software company has become a leading developer of interactive retail solutions. The fact that Valdez knew peers who worked for the company helped, but what really impressed him was when CEO Christopher Krywulak interrupted a Hawaiian vacation to phone Valdez and interview him.
Fast forward six years. Valdez is now Director of Operations, Manila, and Development Support Manager at iQmetrix. Based in the Vancouver corporate head office, he leads a team of 32 software developers in the Philippines. He also has been a mentor to 10 other team leads in Vancouver, guiding them on autonomous decision-making and on how to be effective managers.
This mentoring earned Valdez the company's Employee of the Year award, presented to him during the annual company-wide retreat held this year in Hawaii. "It was quite special to be honoured in front of 400 colleagues," he says. "I was overwhelmed." The presentation was part of a week-long set of team-building activities, complete with surfing, yoga and horseback riding.
Almost the entire workforce goes on the annual all-expense-paid retreat. "We believe in a holistic work-life balance, an environment where there is no 'punch-in, punch-out' mentality," says Krystal Ho, Director, Corporate Relations. "We trust our employees from the moment they walk through the door. In addition to our robust benefits package, we have unlimited sick days and a flexible work-from-home policy, when needed."
The company has 92 employees in its Vancouver head office, an increase of 26 in the past year. Of the new hires, 18 were computer engineers, the others in sales, marketing, finance and quality assurance. At a minimum, 15 new hires are expected in Vancouver in 2017, but over 100 are forecast for the new Winnipeg office expansion.
Each team has its own professional-development budget. Requests to attend a conference or take a training program can be made by any employee to their lead. There are minimal limitations. "We typically ask that people who go to major conferences share the knowledge they gain with the rest of their team at a lunch and learn," says Ho. "Sharing is caring."
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2017)
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Apr 24, 2017)
Here are some of the reasons why iQmetrix was selected as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2017):
- A growing employer, iQmetrix added 48 new full-time positions in the past year and encourages all employees to become owners through a share purchase plan
- iQmetrix is an enlightened employer that supports new mothers and adoptive parents with maternity and parental leave top-up payments (to 75% of salary for 17 weeks)
- iQmetrix encourages employees to keep active with access to an onsite fitness facility, featuring a variety of exercise equipment and a private trainer for personal training and fitness classes