Recognized as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers (2019):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Dec 6, 2018)
Here are some of the reasons why Fleet Complete was selected as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers (2019):
- Fleet Complete cultivates an ownership culture through a share purchase plan, available to all employees, and offers generous referral bonuses for employees who help recruit candidates from their personal networks (up to $5,000 per successful referral)
- As part of the company's flexible health benefits plan, Fleet Complete employees receive a health and wellness spending account of up to $1,000, allowing employees to allocate funds for additional expenses or top up existing coverage
- Fleet Complete offers industry-leading maternity and parental leave top-up payments for new mothers and fathers, to 75% of salary for 52 weeks (up from 67% of salary in previous years)
Ride 'a rocket ship' of growth at Fleet Complete
The pace of growth at Fleet Complete has been remarkable. In 2014, the Toronto-based company had roughly 80 employees between Canada and the United States. Today, Fleet Complete has over 500 employees globally and operates in 15 countries.
"It's been a rocket ship," says Larry Indovina, Executive Vice President, Human Resources. "It's also opened up a world of opportunity. We are constantly changing and moving forward in positive ways that allow all of us to tackle some incredible challenges. There are certainly no boring days at Fleet Complete."
Founded in 1998, Fleet Complete offers connected mobility solutions to companies with fleets, assets and mobile workers. Initially focused on the courier service industry, the company quickly expanded across multiple sectors, including distribution, transportation and field services. Currently the fastest-growing telematics provider in the world, Fleet Complete offers industry-leading technology and global partnerships with prominent automotive manufacturers to help customers transform their businesses from inside out.
Gary Leung has been with the company from the beginning, starting as part of a small group that worked on product solutions out of the basement of the company founder's house. Now a Team Lead for Development, Leung looks back at the opportunities he's been given to appreciate the incredible growth that he has witnessed.
"Working here has been a constant education," he says. "We've always used leading-edge technologies and that's exposed me to a lot of exciting challenges."
One of the most satisfying aspects of the work, adds Leung, is knowing that Fleet Complete is giving companies, big and small, the tools they need to succeed.
"A lot of our clients are passionate about what they do. So we understand the importance of our work and the difference our products and services can make in helping people run their businesses and earn a livelihood."
While much has changed as the company grew, Indovina says the workplace culture remains strongly rooted in four key values - People, Productivity, Innovation and Quality. All new employees participate in a week-long onboarding program, JumpStart, which includes detailed discussion of how they can incorporate these values into their day-to-day-activities.
Employees are also encouraged to uphold another critical priority - keeping the customer satisfied.
"We always tell our employees that when they are making a decision that's going to impact the customer, do it in the most customer-centric way possible," says Indovina. "You are never going to get penalized at Fleet Complete for making a decision that's right for the client."
Employees are continually engaged in open, two-way communication. All of Fleet Complete's global operations are now connected through video-conferencing technology, allowing for much greater "face time" between far-flung colleagues. Fleet Complete's founder and Chief Executive Officer, Tony Lourakis, ensures all employees are aligned on the current state of affairs in the company. He streams and records monthly updates at the company's Toronto headquarters to provide business updates, discuss longer-term goals and take questions from employees. These are broadcast to all of the international offices.
Employee wellness is strongly promoted. The company's Toronto location has access to a gym, a wellness room and regular lunchtime meditation sessions led by a staff member. All-employee social outings have included Blue Jays baseball games and a cruise on Lake Ontario. The weekly Thursday Happy Hour is a popular event, as it is at every Fleet Complete office around the globe.
When interviewing new recruits, Indovina says he looks for individuals "who are self-aware, eager to learn and adaptable. We need people who thrive on change. We move fast and it's the kind of organization where, every six or nine months, the company expands and we have new challenges to tackle."
Leung says that's a big part of why he's stayed at Fleet Complete for nearly two decades.
"There's a live, vibrant feel here," he says. "We're encouraged to innovate and run with our best ideas. It's definitely a constant challenge, but you are always exercising your brain."
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2019):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Apr 11, 2019)
Here are some of the reasons why Fleet Complete was selected as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2019):
- Toronto-based Fleet Complete continues to expand at a rapid pace, adding 75 new full-time jobs in the past year (a year-over-year workforce change of nearly 40 per cent)
- Fleet Complete celebrates exceptional performance through an annual awards program, which features award categories in quality, innovation, productivity, people and the President's Choice Award
- Fleet Complete organizes a variety of social events and celebrations throughout the year, including a boat cruise on Lake Ontario, themed events for Halloween, Christmas and St. Patrick's Day, video game tournaments and holiday parties