Recognized as one of Montreal's Top Employers (2019):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Jan 30, 2019)
Here are some of the reasons why Pharmascience Inc. was selected as one of Montreal's Top Employers (2019):
- Pharmascience offers generous referral bonuses as an incentive for employees to help recruit candidates from their personal networks, ranging from $1,500 to $5,000 per successful hire
- Pharmascience encourages employees to adopt healthy habits at work and at home, offering healthy menus at its onsite cafeteria and free access to an onsite gym (with regular yoga classes)
- Pharmascience helps employees achieve greater work-life balance with a variety of alternative working arrangements including flexible hours, telecommuting and compressed work weeks -- employees also receive paid personal days off, which can be scheduled at their discretion
Pharmascience empowers its people to drive change
Philip Bertin joined Pharmascience Inc., a Montreal-based generic pharmaceutical company, 2½ years ago. From Day 1, he's been growing professionally. "I'm learning something new every single day," said Bertin, finance manager in corporate accounting.
That's thanks in no small part to the entrepreneurial spirit that is deeply embedded in Pharmascience's corporate culture. "If I see an area where we should be doing something differently, I can build a business case and present it to management," he said. "We have the opportunity to drive change."
Pharmascience also promotes openness and access to leadership. "In my experience, the proximity to leadership has been amazing," said Irene Mascolo, vice-president of human resources, who joined Pharmascience four years ago. "We see our CEO and COO walking around. We can always knock on their doors. They're open to new ideas - it's really empowering!"
The emphasis of work/life balance is another aspect of the Pharmascience culture that appeals to both Bertin and Mascolo. The company has initiatives such as a flexible hours policy and its Flex Friday program, which permits employees to put in extra hours during the week and leave early on Fridays. "Pharmascience helps its employees achieve their personal goals as well as their professional goals and I've seen how this can make an impact in their lives," Mascolo said.
In addition, the tire change program in the fall and spring - in which employees can have their tires changed at the workplace - as well as free flu shots and an on-site gym, all contribute to employee engagement.
Pharmascience takes pride in the gender parity and cultural diversity of its workforce. This diversity is highlighted through different events, such as the Diversity Day that was held earlier this year. "Since the inception of the company, there has been a great cultural diversity in the teams, and I am especially proud of that," Mascolo said.
Finally, Pharmascience is committed to giving back to the community. In addition to supporting Health Partners International of Canada for more than 20 years, the company invites employees to participate in many initiatives throughout the year, such as the Centraide Campaign, the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer, and Community Partnership Day. Employees are also entitled to participate in programs such as Leave for Change, which sends an employee to a developing country to volunteer in his or her field of expertise.
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People (2019):
By Kristina Leung and Richard Yerema, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Jan 17, 2019)
Here are some of the reasons why Pharmascience Inc. was selected as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People (2019):
- Pharmascience helps university students gain work experience through the Next Generation Leadership program, a 4-month internship that includes career-level work experience and regular training and development opportunities
- Program participants also work on a corporate project, researching recommendations to a real business case and presenting their findings and suggestions to senior management at the end of their term