Recognized as one of BC's Top Employers (2019):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Feb 21, 2019)
Here are some of the reasons why Wesgroup Equipment LP was selected as one of BC's Top Employers (2019):
- Wesgroup Equipment LP provides the majority of its new moms with maternity leave top-up payments (to 75% of salary for 15 weeks) and helps employees balance work and their personal lives with telecommuting and flexible work hour options, varying by position
- Along with regular team meetings, Wesgroup Equipment LP keeps employees informed and up to date through The Yard (company intranet) and recently introduced CEO Coffee Chats, allowing small groups of employees to interact directly with the CEO, ask questions and share their perspective
- Wesgroup Equipment LP starts the majority of its new employees with 3 weeks of paid vacation and considers previous work experience when setting individual vacation entitlements
Wesgroup Equipment equips its people with team spirit
In high school, Andrew Cunliffe couldn't imagine working at a company like Wesgroup Equipment, let alone spending his entire career there. Now he can't picture working anywhere else.
"I'm a lifer and I have a lot of loyalty to this company," says Cunliffe. "I didn't know much about the trade when I first started here, but the company trained me up to get to where I am today, set me straight and put me on my path. It's pretty inspirational."
The Wesgroup Equipment family of companies is made up of Williams Machinery, Westerra Equipment and Vermeer BC. They sell, rent and service construction and material handling equipment, operating from eight locations across B.C.
Cunliffe started in the yard at Westerra Equipment in Abbotsford. Now as service lead hand, he trains and supervises the shop's mechanics, immersing them in the same corporate culture that's helped him excel.
"I love it. It's really rewarding to see technicians get trained and grow when you see them coming in at 16 or 17 years old and now they're all doing great," says Cunliffe.
Wesgroup employees range from technicians to parts, service, administrative and sales staff. But whether wearing overalls or a suit, they have one thing in common: core principles of teamwork in a values-based culture where building positive relationships meets the needs of customers.
"We're a values-based organization - we don't just talk it, we focus on putting those values in action each and every day," says Wesgroup CEO Dhar Dhaliwal.
"We're continuously looking for ways to run our business better and seeking out best practices to improve things for both employees and our customers. We're strongly committed to recognizing our employees for the good work they do."
The company also recognizes the importance of work/life balance. Along with a competitive wage and benefits package, employees receive ongoing training, development, recognition, incentives to keep fit, wellness programs and financial planning counselling.
Cunliffe says the company's commitment to charity is another attraction.
"We did the 'Run For the Cure' and had competitions on who could raise the most money. We really do support charities," Cunliffe says.
Wesgroup Equipment also supports the Canadian Cancer Society, the Food Bank, Adopt-a-Family programs and BC Children's Hospital.
Dhaliwal says it's all part of creating a team spirit where everyone counts.
"We're small enough that every employee's contribution matters, but large enough that we can provide opportunities for growth. We're right in that sweet spot," Dhaliwal says.
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2019):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Apr 11, 2019)
Here are some of the reasons why Wesgroup Equipment LP was selected as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2019):
- Wesgroup Equipment LP supports ongoing employee development through apprenticeships, in-house and online training initiatives, as well as offering tuition subsidies for courses at outside institutions, up to $1,500 annually
- Wesgroup Equipment LP is an enlightened SME that offers its new moms maternity leave top-up payments, to 75 per cent of salary for 15 weeks (for eligible employees)
- Wesgoup Equipment LP encourages employees to recruit their friends with generous new employee referral bonuses, from $1,500 to $3,000 depending on the position